If you plan to stay or visit Indonesia soon, you might need this information about Indonesia visa, it’s requirements, conditions, etc.
Do you plan to visit Indonesia soon? Do you want to spend your holiday in some of its wonderful tourist-destination? Or are you a student who wants to do an exchange with Indonesian students here?
This piece of information on the Indonesia visa hopefully will help to prepare your visit to Indonesia.
If a passport is a travel document that tells one’s nationality, then a visa is a document that allows him/her to enter other countries. Both of them are required when people go abroad.
Knowing what types of visas and how to get them will be useful for your trip whether it is business, family-visiting, traveling, training or other trip purposes.
You’d know the documents and the amount of money you need to prepare.
In this article, I’ll discuss types of visas and permit in Indonesia for foreigners. Please read on.
Type of Indonesia Visa
Type of Indonesia Visa #1 Visit Visa
Visit visa is given to foreigners for purposes such as governmental visit; non-commercial sports activity, benchmarking, short-course or training, consultation, business meeting, giving a lecture or following a seminar, and other activities related to a holiday, family, social, cultural, and business.
There are 3 types of this visa, namely visit visa on arrival, visit visa and multiple visit visa that the applicant could choose according to his/her visit goals.
#1 Visit Visa On Arrival
If you want to visit some family or go on vacation in Indonesia not longer than 2 months, then this visa is what you need.
It gives you 30 days stay and can be extended in Immigration Office for 1 (one) time only, to have another 30 days stay.
You can apply for this visa when you arrive in Indonesia if your country is listed on visa on arrival list countries. There are currently 68 countries listed.
Requirements: passport validity 6 months, return/through ticket.
Fees: US$35 or around 400.000 rupiahs.
#2 Visit Visa
This visa’s period is longer than the visa on arrival. You are given 60 days to stay and can be extended in immigration office for 5 (five) time, each extension will be given another 30 days stay.
If you have a business meeting, consultation or training activity, or a long holiday you can go with this visa.
It can be applied at in Indonesian embassy or consulates, or the guarantor could apply to the directorate general of immigration in Jakarta, Indonesia.
A Guarantor is the person who can assure or give a guarantee for you and your stay. He/she will have to cover any cost in case of deportation.
Requirements: application letter and guarantee letter, copy of passport (validity 6 months for single, 18 months for multiple), copy of Bank Accounts, return/through ticket, reentry ticket (for stateless/ non-nationality person).
Fees: US$50 or around 700.000 rupiahs.
#3 Multiple Visit Visa
This visa is suitable for those who travel frequently to Indonesia for family, business and government visit purposes.
It is given in Indonesian Embassy or Consulates. The validity is 1 year. You are given a maximum 60 days stay each visit and can’t be extended.
#Requirements: the requirements are the same with the visit visa.
#Fees: US$110 or around 1.500.000 rupiahs.
To check the details of the procedure on how to apply visit visa, you can go to this link.
Type of Indonesia Visa #2 Limited Stay Visa
If you intend to stay longer in Indonesia for work, investment, research, study, dependent, repatriation, retirement, this visa is for you.
You can get this visa in Indonesian Embassy or Consulates, or your guarantor may apply to the Directorate General of Immigration in Jakarta, Indonesia. The fee for this visa depends on the time of stay.
The fee for 6 months stay is charged US$55 or around 700.000 rupiahs, US$105 or around 1.400.000 rupiahs for 1 year, and US$180 or around 2.500.000 rupiahs for 2 years.
8 types of limited stay visa and their requirements
#1 Limited Stay Visa For Working
Requirements: application and guarantee letter, passport copy, bank accounts copy, a recommendation from Indonesia’s Ministry of Manpower and Transmigration.
#2 Limited Stay Visa For Foreign Investment
Requirements: application and guarantee letter, passport copy, bank accounts copy, a recommendation from Indonesia’s Investment Coordinating Board.
#3 Limited Stay Visa For Research
Requirements: application and guarantee letter, passport copy, bank accounts copy, a recommendation from research institution such as RISTEK, LIPI.
#4 Limited Stay Visa For Education (Student)
Requirements: application and guarantee letter, passport copy, bank accounts copy, a recommendation from Indonesia’s Ministry of Education and Culture.
#5 Limited Stay Visa For Family Reunification
- For wife/husband of an Indonesian
Requirements: application and guarantee letter, passport copy, bank accounts copy, marriage certificate copy.
- For wife/husband with a limited/permanent stay permit (ITAS/ITAP) holder
Requirements: application and guarantee letter, passport copy, bank accounts copy, marriage certificate copy, husband/wife ITAS/ITAP copy.
- For children under a legitimate marriage of a foreigner and Indonesian, for children under 18 years (unmarried) of a foreign national father/mother married to an Indonesian
Requirements: application and guarantee letter, passport copy, bank accounts copy, family registration card, marriage certificate copy, birth certificate copy, father/mother Indonesian ID copy.
- For children under 18 years (unmarried) dependent of a limited/permanent stay permit (ITAS/ITAP) holder of father/mother
Requirements: application and guarantee letter, passport copy, bank accounts copy, family registration card, marriage certificate copy, birth certificate copy, parent ITAS/ITAP copy.
#6 Limited Stay Visa For Repatriation
Requirements: application and guarantee letter, passport copy, bank accounts copy, document proofing that he/she had Indonesian Nationality such as Indonesian ID, or family card, or birth certificate copy.
#7 Limited Stay Visa For Retirement
Requirements: application and guarantee letter from appointed travel agent, passport copy, bank account copy, insurance, curriculum vitae, marriage certificate copy, statement to rent accommodation, statement to use domestic helper, travel agent license for commerce, travel agent tax file number, letter of approval for travel agent, as a retirement visa guarantor.
#8 Limited Stay Visa Working Holiday
Working holiday visa application is submitted only by nationalities that has cooperation with the Indonesian government. Application is submitted to Indonesia representative office in their home country
Requirements:application and guarantee letter from appointed travel agent, passport copy, bank account copy, a recommendation from immigration department (home country), education certificate from university/equal or a letter statement from the university as an active student minimum 2 years followed with a student ID.
#3 Permit For Visit
Permit for visit is given to foreigners who have visa for visitor or visa on arrival, a newborn child whose parents are holders of permit for visit, foreigners who are free from requirements to have visa because of the law and regulations, foreigners who serve as transport equipment crew and who enter territory of Indonesia in emergency.
#1 New request:
- A new request from a foreigner to get this permit with visa, he/she must attach a letter of guarantee from the guarantor at the time of applying for a visa; and a valid passport.
- A new request from children born in Indonesia region whose parents hold this permit, they should filed the application, attach passport nationality from children in Indonesia country representative, child’s birth certificate from the hospital or birth certificate from the competent authority, photocopy of passport nationality of parents, and photocopy of parent’s permit for visit.
#2 Request renewal
For request renewal on this permit, you should attach application forms, mail order and guarantee of the guarantor, original and copies of passport nationality contained valid license and visit evidence, second until fifth request renewal attach evidence of foreigner registration from head office of immigration or the immigration officer is appointed, not included in the list of cease-desist, pay the immigration fee accordance to the provisions, special requirements, attach: evidence of assurance in the form of return-ticket to go home or move on to another country.
The permit will be given by Indonesia immigration officers at the immigration checkpoint. Renewal of this permit is given for maximum 5 times, with 30 days period of each time renewal.
Your first and second renewal will be done by the head of the immigration office. Your third and fourth renewal will be done by the head of the immigration office after being approved by the head office of the ministry of law and human rights.
Also your last renewal will be done by the head of the immigration office after getting approved by the director general of immigration.
Visitor permit for the holder of single and multiple-entry visitor visas will get 60 days since the date of the entry stamp. This holder can extend the visa for 4 times with 30 days period for each time extension.
For the holder of visitor permit for multiple entry visitor, the visa can’t be extended.
Those who hold visa on arrival are given maximum of 30 days since the date of the entry stamp and get extension 1 time for maximum of 30 days.
Those who are from a visa-free country, will get a maximum 30 days stay since the date of the entry stamp and can’t be extended except in case of emergency.
And for those who work as a crew of conveyance arriving or existing in Indonesia will get 30 days stay since the date of the entry stamp and cannot be extended.
Visitor Permit for a child newly born in Indonesia whose parents hold visitor permit at the moment of the child’s birth will get a stay period as the parent’s visitor permit periods.
And for foreigners who enter Indonesia because an emergency situation will get maximum of 30 days stay since the date of the entry stamp.
#4 Permit For Short Term Stay
This permit is given to foreigners who:
- are investors, experts, clergy or clerics, enrolling for education or training participants, conducting scientific research
- want to do reunion with a spouse who is a KITAS holder, want to do reunion of children of a foreign national with his/her Indonesian national father and/or mother who have a legal family relationship, want to do reunion of children under 18 year old and unmarried with his/her father and/or mother who are KITAS holders
- formerly held Indonesian nationality
- a tourist over the age of 55 years. (Special condition apply to this category)
- is a child born in Indonesia while his/her father and/or mother are KITAS holders
- are ship captains, crew or any foreign scientists working on a marine vessel, floating structure or installation operating in Indonesian waters and its jurisdiction according to the laws
- are married with an Indonesian spouse
- are children of foreigners who are married with Indonesian spouse
- are short term workers
This permit will expire because of these following reasons:
- The foreigners return to their home country without the intention to go back to Indonesia
- The foreigners return to their home country and not re-enter Indonesia before the expiration date of re-entry permit
- Get Indonesia citizenship
- Expiration of the permit date
- Switch from limited stay permit to permanent stay permit
- Minister or appointed immigration officer cancel the KITAS
- The event of decease of stay holder
General Requirements And Compulsory Documents
Complete application form, get sponsor/guarantor letter (exception for foreigners who are married to an Indonesian citizen), passport and a copy of passport photo/biodata page, visa, and recent arrival stamp, a valid entry permit date and date that report to the immigration office (please check your arrival stamp, domicile letter from local authority.
For ship captains, crew, or foreign experts working on a vessel, floating structure or installation in Indonesian waters, you don’t have to attach a valid entry permit date and date that report to the immigration office, and domicile letter from the local authority.
Here are some points to consider for this permit:
- Provide KITAS (limited stay permit card) with your file application if you want to extend a stay permit.
- A foreigner or guarantor must fill the application and attach the requirements and submitted to the head of the immigration office or the immigration officer in his/her residence
- A foreigner with a limited stay visa should submit the limited stay permit application within 30 days after arrival. He/she will be considered as overstaying if he/she hasn’t submitted it.
- Limited stay permit can be extended for a maximum 1 year at a time and for maximum 5 times.
- A foreigner who wants to switch from permit category to a limited stay permit must get an approval letter from the office of the Directorate General of Immigration before a KITAS is given.
- Limited stay permit can be extended and is given maximum of 2 years.
- Extension for a KITAS is maximum of 2 years each time, with maximum stay 6 years.
- For short term workers limited stay permit is given for a maximum 90 (ninety) days and is extendable and extension for the permit is given up to 30 days with a maximum stay of 180 days.
- Fora limited stay visa on arrival holders, the limited stay permit is given for a maximum of 30 days and can’t be extended.
#5 Permit For Short Term And Long Term Stay For A Marriage Of Different Citizenship
Here are some points to consider if you are a foreigner whose spouse is an Indonesian.
- If your Indonesian spouse is passed away, your Limited Stay Permit (ITAS) or Permanent Stay Permit (ITAP) is still valid. But you must have a guarantor of Indonesian nationality.
- If a foreigner’s parents who are of Indonesian nationality died, his/her ITAS or ITAP remains valid and he/she must have a guarantor of Indonesian nationality.
- If your mixed marriage based on nationality that has lasted for more than 10 years, the ITAP for foreigners for a legal marriage remains valid, although the marriage is ended because of a divorce or a court’s decision.
And you must have a guarantor of Indonesian nationality.
You must submit your guarantor Indonesia identity card to the immigration office along with the foreigner’s place of residence within 60 days after the date of the divorce certificate is issued, unless your ITAP (limited permanent stay permit) will be canceled.
# Short Stay Visa Free Facilities
There is good news for foreigners who wants to make a short visit such as for tourism, family visit, social visit, or other visits.
The government of Indonesia has provided a special short-stay visa-free facilities for tourists from these 169 countries who wish to travel to Indonesia.
This new rule is based on Presidential Decree No. 21 of 2016.
The visa is valid for 30 days without any extension and you can’t switch it to other types of stay permit.
But don’t worry! If you want a longer visit time, you could still apply for a visa on arrival (that can be extended for 30 days) or a visit visa.
Since 2007 the number of international tourists have been increasing significantly from around 5 million to more than 10 million people in 2015.
In 2018, the number grew vastly to around 15 million people. This means that visa, especially for tourism, became more important than ever for foreigners who want to enter Indonesia.
Several countries such as Afghanistan, Israel, Nigeria, North Korea, and Somalia require approval from an Immigration Office in Indonesia before traveling for business, tourist and social visit purposes.
The visa is namely Indonesian Calling Visa.
Having the right visa for your trip will be helpful for your visiting, business or other activities.
Some visit visas have complicated and difficult requirements and some don’t. But, knowing those requirements can help to prepare your visit or permit stay in Indonesia.
If you think this article helpful, please share with people around you who want to travel to Indonesia. By doing that, you’d help them get informed about the visa they need.
- Admin. Visit Visa. Imigrasi.go.id – https://bit.ly/2vGhWq1.
- Admin. July 6th, 2018. Visa Free For 169 Countries To Travel To Indonesia. Indonesia.travel – https://bit.ly/2kVMd2a.
- Admin. Visa Policy Of Indonesia. Wikipedia.com – https://bit.ly/2m83w0b.
- Indonesian Visa 01 – http://bit.ly/2m1tdjl
- Indonesian Visa 02 – http://bit.ly/2nIzL6T
- Indonesian Visa 03 – http://bit.ly/2nCVbCc
- Indonesian Visa 04 – http://bit.ly/2nHhfvB
- Indonesian Visa 05 – http://bit.ly/2mc2OiB